Position Title : Resources Management Officer
Duty Station : Kinshasa, Congo, Democratic Republic of the
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 08 September 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Bahamas; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; El Salvador; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic
Republic (the); Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States
of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Paraguay; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Resource Management Officer (SRMO) and in cooperation with relevant units at Headquarters (HQs), in particular Department of Resources Management (DRM)-Emergency Support Unit (ESU), Administrative Centres (Manila Administrative Centre (MAC) and Panama Administrative Center (PAC) and Regional Office (RO) in Pretoria, South Africa, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for supervising the administrative, budgetary, financial, and human resources, functions of IOM DR Congo and providing support in these areas to staff in the Mission including those in Sub-Offices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Monitor and oversee the financial management for all activities in the country including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability; and in coordination with the SRMO, IOM DRC and CoM, undertake financial analysis of projects in the Mission.
- Ensure daily control of funds disbursed; ensure funding is received in accordance with donor agreements. Maintain appropriate internal controls to safeguard the Organization’s assets, control cash and prevent fraud.
- Assist the SRMO to coordinate and review budgets, financial reports for donors and other requirements, and financial analysis of projects and programmes in accordance with IOM and donor reporting requirements; oversee budget control process and analyze variances between budget and actual expenditures; assist in the preparation of annual budget for the Mission, guide and support the preparation of budgets for new projects and programmes.
- Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
- Review existing systems and procedures and, if necessary, recommend possible improvements to strengthen internal monitoring, evaluation and control systems and improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assist COM & SRMO in managing the human resources function and make recommendations on recruitment and personnel administration of staff in the Mission. Apply Human Resources (HR) policies, rules and regulations and make recommendations for resolving difficult or sensitive cases in coordination with SRMO.
- Assist in supervising and building the capacity of mission staff in the areas of finance, human resources, administration, logistics and procurement and take actions to resolve anomalies and unusual trends. In coordination with the CoM & SRMO, support and offer guidance to other units on above matters with a view to increasing their effectiveness.
- Liaise with relevant units at Headquarters (HQ) and the Regional Office (RO) in Pretoria, as well as other relevant counterparts with regard to the financial activities of the Mission; report regularly on the financial situations of the Mission and provide other information as needed.
- Ensure that appropriate and up-to-date filing system and data are maintained by the Finance and Project Units on documents/reports/guidelines project funding requests.
- In coordination with the SRMO, supervise the IT, procurement and logistic services, including contracts with service providers and suppliers of goods and services and related administration authorities and ensure that relevant IOM policies are implemented.
- Oversee the management of the fleet of vehicles and maintenance of IOM offices as well as the functioning of all support services at the Mission.
- Support and offer guidance to other units (programmes and sub-offices) on Resource Management and in the absence of SRMO, represent the Organization on UN Operations Management Team (OMT) related matters
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
• Experience in the field of resources management, accounting, IOM project financial planning and budget revision management;
• Good knowledge of human resources management;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international institutions;
• Experience in emergency operations is advantageous;
• Familiarity with financial oversight and public administration;
• Knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP highly desirable;
• Audit experience highly regarded;
• Knowledge of audit, monitoring and evaluation;
• Knowledge of information technology and related issues a distinct advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Portuguese and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 08 September 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 26.08.2019 to 08.09.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank
Requisition: SVN 2019/242 (P) Resources Management Officer (P3) – Kinshasa DRC (56114907) Released
Posting: Posting NC56114908 (56114908) Released