from Samaritan’s Purse
Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God’s love through His Son, Jesus Christ.
The Ebola Technical Expert will serve to support and manage all Ebola related programing in DRC. This position will be separate from, but work in conjunction with the IPC Program Manager who will oversee day to day implementation of IPC/Ebola related programming. The technical expert will support the PM in making decisions and managing Ebola related programming, as well as being the main personnel serving as the liaison in all Ebola related matters and meetings in country. This position will report to the same reporting manager as the IPC Program Manager. This position will liaise directly with the IHU to ensure that all Ebola focused programming meets SP standards.
Technical Ebola Expertise:
· Serve as the technical point of contact for all EVD-related topics within the country office for ongoing as well as future programming;
· Provide guidance to, support implementation of, and review of all Ebola related programming in country;
· Ensure quality programming through standardized use of guidelines and technical EVD knowledge/experience;
· Build capacity of program staff through on-the-job trainings and supportive supervisions;
· Monitor ongoing EVD outbreak in DRC and advise on necessary alterations to program strategies;
· Serve as the technical EVD counterpart for health and WASH program managers, providing guidance regarding all EVD-related implications to activities within the program;
· Liaise regularly with Ebola focal point on IHU to ensure that all Ebola focused programming meets SP standards and is implemented appropriately.
· Liaise and coordinate with government representatives, Ministry of Health, other NGO staff, donors and partners regarding the advancement and status of SP programs related to Ebola preparedness programming;
· Foster and maintain relationships and network related to Ebola epidemic in country;
· Liaise regularly with local Ministry of Health authorities as well as other local partners and health facility authorities to ensure close communication and collaboration in program implementation;
· Prepare and submit timely and accurate health facility and program reporting to HQ/IHU, UN agencies, cluster leads, partners, and MOH as needed;
· Represent SP’s Ebola response efforts at high level meetings throughout the country and, as needed, in regional response meetings;
· Attend all meetings as necessary in Goma and surrounding areas, keeping Bunia relationships a priority due to proximity to programming.
Program Management Support and Quality Assurance:
· Closely monitor program objectives and indicators to ensure that they are achieved according to IHQ and donor requirements;
· Support with program reports and grants development as needed;
· Continually monitor and evaluate effectiveness of the program through quantitative and qualitative assessments;
· Conduct regular assessments at targeted health facilities to identify site-specific gaps in IPC protocol adherence and supplies, and guide staff in making necessary adjustments.
· Work closely with the International Health Unit and Ebola technical specialists (at HQ or rotating into country) for any future Ebola programming needs or noted issues in current programming.
· Provide trainings to country office staff for EVD preparedness and prevention, as requested by the country director.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Flexibility, adaptability, and patience;
· Willingness to build local national staff capacity by utilizing training and coaching skills;
· Analytical and problem solving skills;
· Cross cultural awareness and sensitivity to cultural differences;
· Working knowledge and adherence to MOH or WHO guidelines for health care management in Ebola affected countries;
· Awareness of gender issues;
· High level of integrity and stewardship;
· Committed to the SP values and ethics;
· Ability to work in climatic extremes and in areas of conflict;
· Strong communication skills, with excellent written and spoken English;
· Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office;
· Spoken & Written proficiency of English;
· Ability to communicate in French desired;
· Ability to communicate in local languages (Swahili, Lingala etc.) desired.
Education & Experience Needed
· 3-4 years’ experience in Program Management in developing countries and in difficult environments and/or experience in health administration or management;
· Experience in an Ebola context – either with extensive WASH or Health background;
· Experience in implementing trainings and the ability to effectively engage students;
· One year of college-level Biblical studies strongly preferred;
· Experience in coordination with other international humanitarian organizations and UN agencies operating in complex emergencies;
· Excellent management and personnel skills to enable the motivation, encouragement and participation of the medical team;
· Experience in conducting assessments, program development and proposal writing,
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical demands will be dependent upon situation and event.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work in a security context that is fluid
This is a non-contractual document that can be varied from time to time as circumstances dictate. This job description is intended to summarize the main duties and responsibilities of the post; this is not intended to be a full and exhaustive list of tasks. All SP staff is expected to demonstrate flexibility and willingness to perform appropriate tasks when the need arises.
Submission of Applications
Interested applicants should submit their C.V. and an application letter ONLY to email@example.com to be received from August 22nd, 2019 to September 6th, 2019. Certificates and testimonials need not be attached.