The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; and to develop and maintain positive relationships and to work respectfully with EDC clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
As a member of the Integrated Youth Development Activity (IYDA) Senior Management Team, the Senior Program Operations Manager will be responsible for the implementation of all programming in country.
Staff directly reporting to this post: Program Managers South and North Kivu, Logistic and Procurement Manager and Security Coordinator.
Managing and providing leadership, the Senior Program Operations Manager of IYDA:
- Coordinates IYDA program operations and the delivery of high-quality programming in line with the objectives of the project strategy
- Operationalizes and reinforces IYDA program strategy by ensure program plans leverage impact of consortium interventions by maximizing opportunity for complementarity and efficiency
- In close coordination with the Deputy Chief of Party (DCoP) and Senior Finance & Compliance Manager, leads IYDA monthly, quarterly and annual planning processes
- Ensures program operations (activities and procurement) are planned in a logical, complementary manner, completed within time and on budget.
- Plans and validates staff movements based on activity plans and need for technical support and oversight
- Serves as program operations budget holder for program implementation; manage and support budget holders for specific interventions and grants
- Ensures that program operations are implemented in ways responsive to the communities, alternative learning program actors, as well as national and provincial strategies, policies and plans
- Oversees the National NGOs partners (Youth Partners Assessment Tool) and support with through a participatory plan to strengthen their capacity and program interventions for Pathway 3
- As directed by the CoP and in collaboration with the DCoP ensures the preparation of timely and high-quality reports
- Ensures that the required support is provided promptly to program teams to prevent/avoid any activity disruption and ensure high quality delivery of services and reporting
- Coordinates, consolidates and submits to CoP bi-weekly cash request needed for Operation
- Refines and manages the project procurement plan that meets the requirement of the donor and EDC, as well as program needs
- Works closely with Security Coordinator to plan and implement staff movements and project implementation
- Ensures appropriate staffing within Program Operations and that all staff understand and are able to perform their role
- Manages Program Operations team; define expectations, provide leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly
The Senior Program Operations Manager International Technical Advisor (I)
- Is responsible for partnering successfully with Chief of Party and home office project director and with home office, expatriate and local staff
- Helps represent EDC and the project in the host country, interfacing with the ministry, or other government leaders, the funder, and others; builds positive client, vendor, and funder relations
- Demonstrates diplomacy and leadership to foster an atmosphere of teamwork, productivity, creativity, fairness, equity, and innovation, in support of EDC’s commitment to diversity
- Negotiates and mediates effectively
- Interacts with large numbers of program participants or team members, guiding feedback exchanges, facilitating problem-solving, and providing expertise
- Troubleshoots problems and proposes solutions
- Oversees technical coordination; secures consensus about priorities and competing workload demands
- Fosters excellent communications among all parties, including with EDC home offices
- Manages and coordinates activities of subcontractors and all partners to create synergy
- May oversee training programs, workshops, conferences, or other collaborations
- May supervise technical staff; directs and coordinates work of technical staff
- May organize and coach teams
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills. Specific requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of training & education preferred
- With Bachelor’s degree, 7–10 years related experience
- With Master’s degree, 5–8 years related experience, including a minimum of 5 years supervisory/project management or program development experience
- Specific technical expertise relevant to the project, programs and operations
- Outstanding leadership skills
- Excellent analytical skills and aptitude for details
- Capacity to work in difficult conditions and function well under pressure
- International experience required; experience in a developing country essential
- Robust experience of NGO program cycle management and planning
- Good understanding non-formal education and livelihood sectorial programs.
- Experience and knowledge of effective financial and budgetary planning and management.
- Previous experience of managing and developing a team and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Fluency in French and English, both written and spoken essential.