Position Title : Project Officer (Durable Solutions)
Duty Station : Kalemie, Congo, Democratic Republic of the
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, Three months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 08 October 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the direct supervision of the Emergency Coordinator in Kinshasa and in coordination with other operational teams involved in emergency response (Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM), Shelter, WASH, DTM, MHD, etc.), the successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation of IOM activities promoting durable solutions for displacement affected communities. In particular, the successful candidate will be responsible to:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In close coordination with the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) Project Manager, monitor, advice and support the implementation of durable solution activities, and ensure that IOM administrative and technical policies and practices as well as donor requirements are followed at field level.
- Carry out relevant assessment and consultations including focus group discussions to collect appropriate information and lead the process to expand upon/develop IOM durable solution strategy at the national level.
- Promote the standardization of project implementation approaches across field offices involved and establish a common monitoring and evaluation framework for IOM’s Durable solution activities.
- Establish and maintain strong partnerships and liaison with implementing partners involved in promoting durable solutions, including the donor community, Government entities, local authorities, UN agencies and other stakeholders; promoting dialogue, information sharing and cooperation among Government and non-government actors.
- Represent IOM in relevant coordination fora as requested, including in CCCM working group and present IOM’s work on durable solution as requested.
- Monitor project progress specifically aimed at documenting and evaluating results as well as increasing effectiveness and recommending appropriate action.
- Anticipate constraints to project implementation and work out solutions with the project manager and other project officers.
- Ensure accurate information of internally displaced people on project objectives and promote community mobilization accordingly.
- Ensure proper verification of identity of all internally displaced people to ensure an accurate beneficiary selection, adequate assistance provision and maximize project impact.
- Liaise with the IOM DTM team and the mission M&E technical expert to ensure adequate analysis framework is in place to capture and analyze return assistance and other durable solutions activities.
- Implement appropriate safety and security procedures related to the protection of IOM staff, its assets and operations. Ensure that all relevant security information is properly disseminated.
- Contribute to IOM DRC resource mobilization efforts by providing substantive inputs to country strategy(ies), project proposals.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations and/or Law from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Proven technical and managerial level experience in Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM), with a focus on durable solution (return, local integration and relocation) in emergency and conflict context;
• Proven experience in community-based project and approaches;
• Working experience with UN agencies or international organizations in CCCM;
• Excellent writing, monitoring and evaluation skills;
• Good managerial skills and ability to supervises large numbers of staff;
• Familiarity with cluster systems, various steps of project cycle and coordination with donor, local authorities, beneficiaries and other stakeholders.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of local language is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. For this staff category,
candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible. The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
No late applications will be accepted.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 08 October 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 25.09.2019 to 08.10.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CFA2019/58– ProjectOfficer (DurableSolutions)- Kalemie,DemocraticRepublicOfCongo
Posting: Posting NC56162703 (56162703) Released